I put away the chiffon for the time being and am instead trying to use up some my more wild prints. The fabrics themselves inspired these two new dresses I made this week:
This print reminded me of something vaguely southwestern and Mexican. So my first idea was a kind of poncho-like dress, but, that looked terrible on me, so I gathered the shoulders and put some pleats in the front and back at the waist, and voilà! I didn’t use any kind of pattern for this dress… I just cut out a neck hole, sewed up the sides, and then added the pleats & gathers.
This print is so awesome and big and beautiful that I realised it needed to be showcased in a large format. I haven’t really gotten on board with the maxi dress trend, though I do have one I bought in Laos that is a pretty Thai floral cotton print, but I usually just wear it for pyjamas. However after watching Project Runway I decided I should go for a maxi with this amazing 70’s print. I looked at a few tutorials, like Made By Lex’s Maxi Dress Tutorial, and the SoHo Maxi Dress tutorial and just started cutting. I was limited by the amount of fabric I had… and the top turned out a bit skimpy, so I have to wear something under it if I want it to be office-appropriate, even with a cardigan. Again, I didn’t use a pattern, but instead cut out the skirt based on my measurements, and then made 4 triangles for the top. I used the twisty-strap idea from Lex’s tutorial, but did an empire waist rather than break up the print with a lower waist or waistband. Both of these dresses came together in… under 2 or 3 hours each, and hopefully will get a lot of wear this summer! Unfortunately I still have a massive pile of fabric waiting to be turned into something fabulous, but, like my thesis, slowly and surely I am getting through it.
Also recently I knitted an iPod/iPhone cozy that I quite like. In fact, I liked it so much, I knitted another one. I may even start on a 3rd soon.