I have just spent the last 6 hours trying to recreate this $300 dress I fell in love with after spying it in a shop window last week.
I went into the shop and tried it on yesterday. I thought to myself “Maybe if I don’t eat for the next 3 weeks…” but then I looked more closely. It didn’t look that complicated to me. Just a simple shift dress with some fancy details. I thought “I could make this.” So I went to the fabric store and got 3 meters of silk chiffon.
My attempt has thus far been an utter failure.
Some reasons why:
- Fuck! Chiffon is hard to work with!! And I have never tried to before.
- I don’t have a dress form.
- I don’t even have a cutting table. My bed is my cutting table. How am I supposed to cut a straight line with this flimsy fabric on a bed??!!
- I am a very lazy and unskilled seamstress.
- Also, my sewing machine sucks.
Anyway, there are numerous other reasons why this is not working out. I am going to just take a break and step away from it for the rest of the day. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to make something wearable out of this mess I have wasted 6 hours and $30 on.